Welcome to the creative home of artist and maker Charlotte Lyons.


with red buttons

Lyonsbabydressbuttons

Lyonsbabydressbuttons

Finished the dress over the weekend. Hemmed it, clipped all the threads, pressed it. I poured the precious red button jar out onto the ironing board and found two just the right size that matched.

Must admit that the buttonholes were a huge pain. My sewing machine is old, quirky and not very reliable. Whenever it's time to finish anything with topstitching or buttonholes, it goes all wonky. (Other times too actually.) The second buttonhole was a total mess and I had to pick out all the tiny stitches without cutting the fabric. But I did it and then held my breath when I gave it another try a little closer to the first. Success. 

So here's the back then. Very cute.

Walnuthillfarm dress back

Walnuthillfarm dress back

When I laid out the pattern pieces to prep for cutting, I traced the full yoke onto a piece of newsprint and then cut it out to make a window. I used the window to move across the fabric and identify the parts of the print design that I wanted to see in the yoke front and back. Love the way the silhouette appears on the back shoulder and the buttons over the button card.

Walnuthillfarmbabydressbloomers

Walnuthillfarmbabydressbloomers

And then I made the bloomers to finish it up. They look kind of strange just flat for the photos. But they are really sweet too. I used to make these for the girls to wear with a sunhat and plain tee decorated to match.

Wish I had a little girl for a model so I could show you how adorable it is together.

Walnuthillfarmbloomers2

Walnuthillfarmbloomers2

Yes, that would be lovely.

packing up and shop talk

a dress for a baby, an adventure for me

0